Friday, September 11, 2009

will & co.

You've read about him on this blog before. My brother. My baby brother. My boy. With 13 years between us, I used to joke that he was like my first born. Last Tuesday he boarded a plane and headed for the Big Apple. To live. Alone. And to pursue his dream of acting. On Wednesday he called an agent. On Thursday he met with her and she signed him on the spot. She already has a few soap opera auditions in mind for him. This morning I talked to him, and he was heading off to another audition. I have no idea where the time has gone. I remember dropping him off at pre-school on my way to school, so many years ago; his little hands and face pressed against the window pane as I drove off. Tears streaming down his cheeks. How ironic that last week I was doing the same thing as I watched him drive off for the airport. I wasn't ready for him to go. I kind of hoped he wouldn't. So selfish, I know, but he's my boy. I've been taking his headshots for the last 10 years. Now that he's Big Timing it, who knows if I'll get to again. Of course we did one last session this time, and here are a few of my favorites. He's been in NY a week now. Already giving tourists directions. Has already found a favorite Chinese take-out place. I'm so very proud of him. Truly. And I miss him so very much. This summer my other first born and I read lots of Shel Silverstein poems together. My five year old son's favorite is called the Bridge. When we read it, I immediately thought of Will, and his great adventure before him.

This bridge will only take you halfway there, to those mysterious lands you long to see.
Through gypsy camps and swirling Arab fair, and moonlit woods where unicorns run free.
So come and walk awhile with me
and share the twisting trails and wonderous worlds I've known.
But this bridge will only take you halfway there.
The last few steps you have to take alone.
Break a leg, little Brother, and I love you more.


No comments:

Post a Comment